On a cool overcast morning, Saturday the 27th of August 2011, the 47th renewal of the Roper Cup started in earnest at approximately 10:30 am at the recently upgraded lush, green, Clovelly Park field at Kingston College.
Over the last five years some additional features have been added to the original concept of the Roper Cup. There are now a total of five matches which are contested in the following format:
- George Thompson Trophy: under 14 KC vs STGC and under 16(colts) KC vs STGC with the aggregate score of both matches determining the winner.
- Pancho Rankine Trophy for over 35’s players from KC and STGC.
- Father Roper Cup: under 35 players KC vs STGC and the Manning Cup teams from both schools with the aggregate score determining the winner.
Occasionally, there is a celebrity penalty kickout amongst prominent old boys from both institutions. Also an award is made to a past student of either school who has helped to foster good relations between both schools and has enhanced the spirit of this annual competition.
Results of matches played in 2011
- George Thompson cup shared 2-2.
- Pancho Rankine cup won by St. George’s, 1-0.
- Father Roper cup shared 1-1.
- Celebrity penalty kick-off: KC won 3-2.
Celebrity players this year were all former Jamaica internationals over the age of 60.
The STGC players were Dr. Muggy Graham, Bunny Goodison, Russel Bell, Undel Williams and Michael King.
The KC players were: Derrick Dennicer, Neville Oxford, Ambassador Stewart Stephenson, Billy Perkins and Donovan Hayles.
Scorers for KC: Dennicer, Stephenson, Oxford
Scorers for STGC: Williams, Goodison
Mr. Arnold “Dullo” Mcdonald from St. George’s was the recipient of this year’s award for fostering goodwill between both schools.