KC Academic Vice Principal - Juliet Wilson
The 2012 Inter-Form Quiz Final was held on Friday, June 8. This was the culmination of two months of competition among twelve teams consisting of all four Grade 9 classes on the North Street Campus and eight Grade 10 classes. The Grade 11 students were not involved this year as the competition got off to a late start and they were already focusing on their CSEC Exams.
Each class was asked to pick a team of four persons as well as two reserves. Each boy in each participating class was asked to contribute $50 for entry fee which would be used to provide trophies, medals and other prizes. Only seven of the twelve classes paid the entry fee so there was a shortfall. Dr. Patrick Dallas very kindly assisted me in purchasing the trophies and medals.
The Grade 9 classes played each other once and 3 points were awarded to the winning team of each match. At the end of this round the two teams with the most points (9 Miller and 9 Hardie) advanced to the finals. 9 MacDonald finished in 3rd place. The eight (8) Grade 10 classes were organized into two zones of four (4) classes each and the winner of each zone advanced to the finals. This year Grade 10 Forrest (a science class) advanced to the finals where they met 10 Miller (a technical/arts class). 10 DeCarteret finished in 3rd place.
The Grand Final was held in the Boardroom at 3:00 p.m. where the two (2) final matches were played. The quizmaster for the afternoon was Mr. Jeffrey Foreman (Schools' Challenge Quiz Coach); Mr. Kenyatta Powell (SCQ Assistant Coach) was the timekeeper/judge while Mr. Dominique Hemmings (Headboy 2010-11) was emcee. At the end of the matches 9 Miller & 10 Forrest emerged champions. This was followed by a fairly lengthy but exciting presentation ceremony where the teams received their prizes. The winners, runners-up and third place finishers received many prizes including the following:
- Trophies to members of the winning teams partially sponsored by Dr. Patrick Dallas.
- Silver & Bronze Medals to the runners-up and third-place finishers partially sponsored by Dr. Patrick Dallas.
- Meal vouchers (8) donated by Tastee Ltd.
- Meal Vouchers (10) donated by Burger King,
- Books (3 boxes) donated by Kingston Bookshop. (Mr. Joseph Hylton)
- Scientific Calculators (5) donated by Mr. Lloyd Cunningham, member of staff.
- Gift baskets donated by Nestle Jamaica Ltd. (Mr. Linton Johnson)
- Gift baskets (4) from Musson Jamaica Ltd. (Edna Patterson)
- Gift packages (10) donated by Tastee Ltd. (Mrs. Oldfield)
- Gift packages (4) donated by Yellow Pages.
- Gift Packages (4) donated by Digicel Jamaica Ltd.
- Flash Drives (4) donated by Yellow Pages.
- Lanyards and rags donated by Yellow Pages.
- Movie passes (4) donated by Palace Amusement Company Limited.
- Cakes donated by K.C. stalwarts Mrs. Dawn Hamilton, Miss Nicky Bryan of Bryan's Photo Studio, Mrs. Rosemarie Allen, Dr. Ray Fraser, Mrs. Pat Bignall, Mr. Damion Todd, Mr. Raffick Shaw & Mr. Christopher Douglas.
Most teams received a cake and books for participating.
A very special thank you to the companies who provided us with prizes this year. Most of these companies have been supporting the competition for several years and we greatly appreciate their contribution. Also, many thanks to the KC Old Boys, other KC stalwarts, parents, teachers and senior students who gave their support in many tangible and intangible ways. We could not have done it without them.
We look forward to an even bigger and better competition next year.
Juliet Wilson is a Vice Principal of Kingston College and the organizer of the Inter-form Quiz at North Street