The earth is being moved at Kingston College's Melbourne Park Campus where the much heralded synthetic running track is currently under construction.
The Regupol running track is being imported from Germany but the field and grounds must be cleared and leveled prior to laying down the running surface. Much of this work is being done by local contractors, Pave-Con Limited from Mandeville.
Ground was broken on the new track on Friday, October 28th, 2016
Here are five things you should know about the new track:
- The color of the track is Red not purple. This is because red has proven to be the most enduring color for such surfaces and is therefore cheaper to maintain.
- The Track will be named in honor of the father of the founders of the RuJon foundation, Byron Bachelor. The foundation's founders are CEO Andrew and President Christina Bachelor. Byron attended Kingston College and resides in Florida.
- The majority of the funding for the track was provided by the RuJohn foundation. The foundation contributed US$300,000 of the over US$400,000 cost. The additional amounts were raised by the various chapters of KC Old Boys Association.
- The track length will be 330 meters. This is because the Melbourne Park field could not accommodate a larger track.
- The US$400,000 figure only covers the cost of installing the track but does not address the other items such as equipment, changing rooms, fixtures. Also the entire field at Melbourne Park will need to be redone with a sprinkler system and new grass.
The completion of the project is expected by the end of February, 2017. But it's not too late to contribute:
Please make donations at http://kctimes.org/Donate_to_Track.aspx